Today I noticed and extra charge on my AT&T bill. The charge is for a messaging service that costs $9.99 per month to send you random messages. Red flags immediately started flying in my head and I decided to do a little research (by research, I mean Googling).
What I found out that the Bullroare subscription (provided by mblox.com) is a scam. The service finds your listed number, automatically adds it to the service list and starts charing AT&T $9.99 a month. A charge that AT&T then passes on to you. Here is what the charge will look like on your bill:
This looks like a standard subscription charge, but I assure you it’s not. The Bullroare subscription is a scam.
Thankfully when I called AT&T and asked about the charge, they too felt that this was fraudulent and credited my account. However, when I asked what they are doing to alert customers of Bullroare scam and safeguard them from it, the representative said they had no way to do so.
In my opinion, it is our providers responsibility to look out for its customers. Although AT&T did credit my account and solve my problem, this does nothing for its millions of customer. Some of which are surely getting charged for the same Bullroare scam.
What you should do.
If you find that you too are charged a monthly subscription fee for the Bullroare scam, you should follow these steps to solve the problem.
- Look at you past bills to identify when the charges started.
- Call AT&T (or your service provider) and notify them of the issue.
- Ask that they credit you for allthe charges.
- If your charges are more than one month, they may state that they can only credit a certain amount of months. Nontheless, if ask them to credit the other charges because you were a victim of the Bullroare scam and remind them that is should be their responsibility to safeguard its customers from such scams, they will most likely do credit the charges
- Add a Purchase Block to your account.
- Urge AT&T to look into the issue, notify other customers of the Bullroare scam and implement ways to safeguard users to from scams like these in the future.
I hope that you are not affected by this scam, but if you are, speak up and let your provider know that about this Bullroare scam.